In our previous blog we have written about how to create an awe-inspiring presentation template. We have seen that one of the dilemma presenters’ face today is what to share and what not to share with the audience. When you are presenting a particular topic there are chances that you might be knowing a lot about that topic. But if you want to deliver an effective and engaging presentation you should be able to resist the urge to share everything and instead share only relevant information, as and when it is actually required. Editing content is not an easy feat, especially when you are passionate about a particular topic. ENTER MIND MAPPING… An easy and simple tool that will elevate your presentation to the next level.
Let me know tell you the benefits of mind mapping and why you should use it
- ORGANIZATION: Organization of information is one of the key benefits of mind mapping presentation. Mind mapping allows you to map your ideas and thoughts so that you can clearly put your content with a lot of clarity and order.
- Memorization: A study in 2002 by Farrand, Hussain and Hennessey has found that mind mapping helps to increase information retention by 10%. You would get more time to memorize mind map presentationss and will eventually get more time focusing on effective delivery.
- Flow: In a mind map presentation the subject is always at the centre and all the related topics are connected with each other. You can connect each and everything that you put together in your presentation. It will give you a bird’s eye view of your content. This will help you to identify your problems easily and provide suitable solutions.
For those who want to know what a mind map presentation is, it is a diagram that uses keywords, images and other elements of graphics to represent information. In a typical power point format, you prepare individual slides one after the other without getting everything in one go. There may be a table of contents in the first slide but it is very difficult to connect the slides and you may not be completely able to connect the current slide with what is being written in the previous slides.
In mind map, you can see all the information in a two-dimensional structure which makes it is easier for anyone to comprehend and understand the larger takeaway. As a direct alternative to power point presentations, mind mapping wins hands down. Advantages for mind mapping:
- It saves effort because you write keywords and points
- It saves reading time because you have to read only what is relevant
- It is easy to memorize as there is a clear connection between each information and can be easily remembered and visually stimulating
Mind mapping might take a little time getting used to. Also, people prefer familiar tools and may take time to welcome a new approach. But there is always a need to reinvent because familiarity breeds complacency. So starting mind mapping for your next presentation could be a very handy idea. Don’t get discouraged if it takes a little while to get it right, practice is bound to make you perfect.
Now the pertinent question that follows is – Who should use mind mapping? Everyone who is looking at an organized and orderly presentation of thoughts will benefit if they use mind mapping, specifically the ones mentioned below:
- Teachers: Mind map presentation is useful for teachers who want to present complex topics that are easy to comprehend and memorize for students
- Students: Using mind maps you can prepare classroom presentations in minutes. All you need to do is collect all your notes and images on a map, add some images and colours and turn the map into a dynamic slideshow.
- Consultants: All relevant information can be visualized on a single page making presentation delivery efficient to all executives. Any additional information can be easily stored in the form of notes/links and attachments.
- Creative People: Creative thoughts and ideas can be mind mapped to communicate your vision to others. You can embed videos, colours, images and icons to deliver effective presentations.
- Employees: You can easily make proposals, business strategies, project ideas and reports to your management using mind mapping.
- Public Speakers: This form of presentation format is worthy of the big stage. These presentations can be more engaging and memorable.
Some basic functionality you should look for in choosing the right mind mapping tool are:
- Simple easy to use controls: Mind map presentation controls are easy to use and simple. This is quite crucial because you would not like to fumble in front of your audience trying to get it work the way you want it.
- Annotation: This is particularly important as you can accommodate feedback from your audience through annotations. For e.g. If you are reviewing a business plan for your colleagues you can insert valuable feedback.
- Customization: The best program is the ones which can be customized according to your needs.
There are quite a few mapping tools to help you consolidate, summarize and visualize information, with both free and paid versions available to suit your requirement. The tools are either browser-based or desktop-based. For best results, I would recommend you to use the trial version of the tools so that you are comfortable and confident in buying the tool.
Is there a particular mind mapping tool you would recommend? If so, please share a link with our readers in the comments below. You can visit our website, for our corporate services. Our analytical approach and experienced team of designers and consultants enable us to deliver tailor-made investor pitch decks and presentations for our clients.